Saturday, October 1, 2011

Flying out from the nest


To my dearest reader, still the most loyal blog follower in the world…

Sorry for being disloyal* but what can I say life and its roller coaster ride has taken me away… today (correction: tonight!) I am not writing from a mountain top, I am not writing with little children pressing the laptop and playing with my hair, I am not writing surrounded by relatives discussing everything from Obama to the neighbour's baby; I am not writing by a waterfall in Bekhal, nor am I writing from the top of the citadel. No I am not in Khanaqin or Mandaly, and I haven’t passed Suli or Duhok. I am not in a village on a mountain top and no, I am not in the orphanage or the elderly people's home.

My dearest reader, after five years tonight I write to you from a distant land…. I have flown out of my nest. Tonight I am not writing from Kurdistan. No. I am not in Hawler.
A key in my hand to open a wide future...
I am writing from a small room, in a university accommodation all the way in the UK**.  I have made myself at home as much as possible; a Kurdish flag hung on the right, on the left (at the back of the door) a large poster of the Bekhal waterfall, a little more to the left on the bathroom door a poster of the Minaret,  and behind me a picture of the citadel. But in front of me, staring at me, is a picture of four people smiling (mu family!) and drawings illustrated by my dearest cousins Haval and Lava!


Exactly ten days have passed since I left home. What do I miss?

I miss

Listening to choni  (Kwi in Hawleri) and sarchaw

Relative gatherings and guests in the evenings

The fact that every day was a different day and barely anyone was running around catching up to their daily schedule
 
That 9 a.m. usually means 11:30 and half an hour means one-and-a-half hour

Going to a government office and being sent from room 6 to 8 then to 3 and then back to 6 before going to room 11 to collect stamps and signatures and realizing in the end I need to come back another three times before the job is done

Sitting on the couch flipping through Kurdish channels

Walking through Erbil Doctors' Road and complaining non-stop

The view of the citadel when driving

How cars don't always drive perfectly- let's face it, never drive perfectly!

Dolma, bryani, fasoolya and brnj and every other food that sparkles with unhealthy oil
I miss how everyone admits that they're on a diet when reaching out for another Baqlawa (a type of sweet you must have when dieting!)  

Home is not perfect, as you can well see it is drenched in its flaws… but home is home, with all its flaws, it remains the nest.

I promise this blog will uphold its pledge to bring you the best of Kurdistan… even though I may be far.

*Actually twice I wrote a blog entry, but decided not to publish it—too emotional for the context of this blog. But this time, I am going to click "publish" no matter what.
**where I am pursuing my postgraduate studies… trying to make a dream come true.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the luck in your jorney Sazan. Your land and your people are and will always be proud of you. Xwat lagal :)

dancingbrook said...

I am sure Kurdistan will miss you as well, in more ways than one, but hopefully you will return to enrich her more than you do already.

Congratulations, best wishes and looking forward to hearing more about your very bright future.

kulka said...

Till now its a mistery for me, how Kurds can live in any other place than Kurdistan.

I thought only i was sending from room 6 to 8 then to 11 again to 6 and finally to 8.... - when i extended my visa in Slemanyi, but i see its just a kurdish way of doing office work, so its ok, next time i will just injoy it :)))

If you need anything, i am not far.

kulka said...

Oh, i forget - seems like i am more lucky than you about "chony" - i used to hear it few times a day - at work and on the streets - what can do if i know only Kurds here :))) and i work in factory which is half kurdish :)))

NA said...

Why so sad Sazan? It's only temporarily and the experience will be something you will carry with you for the rest of your life. It is good to be away from home for a while. It makes you appreciate the things you take for granted all the more when you return.

I don't know what you're studding but if you put half as much time into your study as you've put into this blog you will probably pass it with honours easily.

I'm studding Management, Economics and Law just across the sea at the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences. I was looking for a 6 months internship. Maybe(big maybe) if I end in the UK I'll meet up with you somewhere.

Enjoy your time in the UK. It really is one of the best places for a student to develop him\herself and find what the world has to offer.

In the mean time don't stop blogging, press the publish button more often ;).

On a different note: I loved your article about Slemani. I was sitting in the bus reading it and it brought a smile to my face knowing Slemany is finally developing into a modern city though my mother back home still tells me to stay far away.

Sazan M. Mandalawi said...

Dear Anonymous...
Thank you for the luck... thank you taking the time to write few words that mean a lot to me.

Sazan M. Mandalawi said...

Dear db....
I see your initial every now and then in the comments. Thank you for being a loyal follower of this blog. May your days be full of happiness.

Sazan M. Mandalawi said...

Dear Kulka!! My loyal dear, loyal blog reader....

Reading your comments, I can't believe that you're not born a Kurd, thank you for loving our nation as much as you do.

Sazan M. Mandalawi said...

Dear NA, thank you for the words of encouragement. To say those deep and strong words to a girl who you've only read her blogs, it is a reflection of how well you all have go to know me over the past five years on blogger.

I am studying a masters in Diplomacy at the moment. Best of luck with your studies, and I am glad you enjoyed the piece of Slemani.


Thanks once again. I will make sure I press the "publish button" more often.

kulka said...

Sazan Gyan, trust me i really think it would be more easy for me to be born as Kurd - coz i would have much more years to get used to that and dont react so emotionally. For sure you know, you can guess whats going on with me for the last few days. Since turkya started to try enter Bashur, then when this tragedy happened to Wan - i am sitting in front of internet, looking for any news with my heart frozen from fear about my people and my land, hoping the news will be good. I dont use to pray, but since Wan - i do every sunrise. Also i am not going to hide - i am a member of PJAK in Birmingham, so the turkya-iran issue is important for me. I am ready to go and fight - if they declare war (for me turks already did, entering other country territory).
Many times i asked myself a question - why i choose to be involved in all that... But i think its love, so i cant help, i must accept it, as i cant get rid of that.

Leo said...

You Not coming back ? !!!!